We are committed to being an Asthma Friendly school. This means:
- The majority of staff have current training in asthma first aid and routine management, conducted or approved by Asthma Foundation WA.
- Asthma Emergency Kits are accessible to staff and include in-date reliever medication, single person use spacers.
- Asthma First Aid posters are on display and information is available for staff and parents.
- Policies are Asthma Friendly.
- We meet all legal, regulatory and policy requirements related to health care planning and asthma management.
- We maintain a central record of students health care needs, including asthma, and review regularly.
- We induct new staff in asthma policies and procedures.
- We have a spacer and mask replacement policy.
Roles and responsibilities
- Are supported to self-manage their asthma; we explain asthma and asthma care to them.
- Provide an Asthma Care Plan, signed by the treating doctor.
- Provide their child’s medication, clearly dated and in the original labelled container, a spacer, and mask as required.
- Alert staff to any changes in their child’s asthma management.
- Document any asthma attack and advise parents/carers as a matter of priority.
- Review documentation regularly to ensure compliance with procedures.
- Minimise exposure to known triggers.