PERSONAL USE OF MOBILE ELECTRONIC DEVICES
Mobile electronic devices include a range of devices including smartphones, tablets and laptops. The WA Department of Education supports the use of personal mobile electronic devices to complete school work. We allow the use of mobile phones before and after school for safety reasons and at break times.
The rules regarding the use of mobile electronic devices at Willetton SHS are in keeping with the code of conduct. Students using mobile electronic devices will not;
- upload photos or images of other students or staff onto social media
- promote or share material that is violent, pornographic, racist, sexist, inflammatory, threatening, hateful, obscene or abusive in nature or promotes the use of illegal activities.
- record any student or staff member in change rooms, toilets, in the yard or in the classroom unless directed by a staff member for curriculum purposes
- use their laptops at break times unless supervised in the library for school work completion
- answer, text, look at or have in plain sight their mobile phone in class unless specifically directed by a staff member for curriculum purposes
For a breach of these rules the Principal may;
- revoke rights for use
- make a report through the Online Information Notification System
- refer to police or Department of Child Protection if the material is sexually explicit and involves a minor
- report to police any illegal activity
- suspend the students involved for a period of time commensurate with the seriousness of the breach
The inappropriate use of mobile phones, and similar electronic devices is disruptive to the learning environment of students and consequentially, the use of these items is restricted.
Mobile phones may only be used in classrooms with teacher permission and for curriculum related tasks.
It is understood that for communication and safety reasons, students may wish to have a mobile phone with them while travelling and during the school day. Students must ensure that their phones are always stored in a safe and secure place.
The following points relate specifically to the use of mobile phones at school and during any school excursions, camps and extra-curricular activities:
- Students should use their mobile phones only before or after school or at recess and lunch breaks except in an emergency
- Students must have mobile phones and other electronic devices switched off and out of sight during class times.
- Students should display courtesy, consideration and respect for the rights of others whenever they are using a mobile phone.
- Mobile phones should not be used in any manner or place that could be disruptive to the normal school routine.
- Mobile phones are not to be used to record, distribute, display or upload images or videos of students, staff or parents on school premises. Any breach of this rule may result in suspension.
- Mobile phones are not to be used to record, distribute, display or upload inappropriate images or videos of students, staff or parents at any time. Any breach of this rule may result in a suspension.
Laptops are to be used in an appropriate manner. Accessing any website or social networking sites for non-curricular purpose is not permitted. Laptops;
- can be removed from a student if conditions of use are breached.
- are only to be used for activities directly related to the Learning Area curriculum and used only when directed by the classroom teacher.
- are not to be used to record, distribute, display or upload images or videos of staff, students, or parents on school premises unless this is part of an activity supervised by a teacher or other staff member. Any breach of this rule may result in suspension.
- are not to be used to record, distribute, display or upload inappropriate images or videos of staff, students, or parents at any time. Any breach of this rule may result in suspension.
Where a student breaches any of the above conditions, the device;
- will be confiscated by the teacher and passed onto Student Services.
- may be collected by the student at the end of the school day, except where the breach of rules has seriously affected another student or staff member.
- where the breach is of a serious nature, parents will be contacted and the offending student/s may be prohibited from bringing the device to school, parents may be required to collect it and a suspension may result.
- may need to be collected by a parent if confiscated by staff on more than one occasion.
Parents and students are reminded that no liability will be accepted by the school in the event of loss, theft or damage of any electronic device.