2021 Year 12 Request to Access Private Study
PRINCIPLES FOR ACCESSING PRIVATE STUDY FOR YEAR 12
Private Study is part of a study plan and can be used to improve marks and grades. It brings a reduction in Year 12 from six courses to five courses which is the minimum commitment at Willetton SHS.
Taking private study has risks and students must be aware that it may be impossible to reverse their decision even before the end of 2020. No student can enter a Year 12 course after March. This date is set by SCSA.
REASONS TO CHOOSE A PRIVATE STUDY LINE
- You have worked hard to achieve good grades in 5 courses and VET equivalents, and will use privatestudy to improve or maintain your standard.
- You have found Year 11 difficult, despite working effectively, and you can benefit from a reduction inwork load so that you can focus on improving your results.
- You have changed course/s for Year 12 and can benefit from private study as you will use the extratime to catch-up in the new course/s.
REASONS TO KEEP SIX COURSES INCLUDING VET CERTIFICATES
- The final date for dropping a course is in Term 3 of Year 12. There is no rush and you cannot changeinto Year 12 courses after April so dropping the “wrong” course can trap you.
- You cannot guarantee your final grades or VET completion and want to keep your options open.
- You are in the position of needing six Year 12 courses/certificates to achieve WACE.
- Your post school pathways require prerequisites that take you to more than five courses.
- You see benefit in continuing your six courses/certificates for Year 12.
- Having untimetabled sessions may result in your wasting time or allow you to distract others.
- You cannot predict how your courses will progress in Year 12. Even strong students may find thatthey have dropped the “wrong” course.
- FLiS students will need approval from the VET team (speak with Miss Pyke or Mrs Holland to checksuccessful completion of certificate requirements and engagement in TAFE course and/orworkplace). VET will forward the request to timetabling.
HOW TO ACCESS PRIVATE STUDY