Sporting Activities and Events
Basketball Specialist Program
This program is the elite Basketball development program within WA. Further details of the program can be found within the specialist programs section of the webpage.
Basketball Tour: Australian Schools Championships
The winners of the Western Australian State Schools Basketball competition earns the right to contest in the Australian Schools Championship. Willetton has earned this right every year since 1991 and has sent many senior men's and women’s teams to compete in the premier male and female divisions, gaining numerous medals.
Basketball Tour: Overseas Tour
A highly engaging trip where students have the opportunity to play Basketball against some of the leading schools and provinces within China. Completed in a year to offset the Australian Schools Championship.
Australian Institute of Sport Tour
The practical application of knowledge learned is a strong motivator towards quality learning, consequently, a tour to the Australian Institute of Sport [AIS] is offered on an availability basis to students studying Physical Education Studies in senior school.
Students participate in lectures from AIS staff and coaches, undertake training programs, sleep and eat at the AIS and take part in sights and sounds of Canberra and nearby ski fields.
New Zealand Ski Trip
A practical tour that looks to maximise the student’s exposure to the ski conditions at Queenstown. This trip is an annual event and competition for spaces is competitive.
Outdoor Education Camps & Activities
Fantastic opportunities are offered throughout the year as part of the program delivery within the Outdoor Education senior school courses.
Sea kayaking, bush walking, abseiling day trips and surfing camps are examples of the practical opportunities used as both assessment items and challenging extensions to students.
Students from Years 7 to 12 are offered the opportunity to nominate and play in over 35 sporting teams coached and registered by Willetton Senior High School. While some sports are at a single school day carnival, others are held over a playing season. All culminate in some form of finals or championship.
The competitions are run by School Sport WA and teaching staff volunteer their time to make the most of these opportunities in the interest of player development.
Willetton Senior High School teams compete in up to 12 carnival based activities each year.
- Years 7, 8, and 9 students have independent school based athletic carnivals. Invited or nominated Year 10 and senior school students are merged in with discrete events during the Year 9 carnival format.
- Carnivals are standards based and test students' personal goals rather than finishing positions.
- Selected team members from the school based carnivals represent Willetton at the zone athletics inter school event and the Western Australian School Sport Division 1 or 2 inter school competition held at the WA athletics stadium.
- Year 7, 8 and 9 students are invited to compete in independent school based swimming carnivals. Invited or nominated Year 10 and senior school students are merged in with discrete events during the Year 9 carnival format.
- The carnivals are standards based and test students' personal goals rather than finishing positions.
- Selected team members from the school based carnivals then represent Willetton at the zone swimming interschool event and the Western Australian School Sport Division 1 or 2 interschool competition held at the HBF Stadium.
Participation based Basketball, Soccer, Australian Rules and Netball are offered to selected Year 7 to 10 students. The carnivals are highly successful in encouraging a wide range of students to participate in out of school sporting activities and Willetton has been highly successful in the various forms.