WESTERN AUSTRALIAN CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION (WACE) 2019/2020
- Demonstrate a minimum standard of literacy and numeracy through the Online Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (OLNA) or achievement of Band 8 or higher in the Year 9 NAPLAN, Reading, Writing and Numeracy tests
- Complete a minimum of 10, year length courses (20 units) including certificates (VET) contributing up to 4 course equivalents
- Complete four or more Year 12 ATAR courses (achieving an ATAR of >50) and/or complete a Certificate II or higher VET qualification
Breadth and Depth of Study
In order for students to be eligible for a WACE, they must complete at least 10 year length courses (20 units). This requirement must include at least:
- A minimum of five Year 12 courses (10 paired units) or the equivalent
- Complete 2 units of year long course in in Year 11 and 1 year length course in English, Literature or English as an Additional Language/Dialect (for eligible students)in Year 12
- At least one Year 12 course from List A and one from List B
Students must achieve a total of seven C grades (or equivalents, see below) in Year 11 and 12, and at least three of these C grades must be for Year 12 courses (or equivalents, see below).
There will be provision for students to gain VET equivalence by completing:
- VET qualifications – a Certificate II can replace one Year 11 and one Year 12 course
- Endorsed programs, such as Workplace Learning, can replace as one Year 11 course and one Year 12 course
For course equivalence, students may count up to four courses of VET and endorsed programs with a maximum of two course equivalents from endorsed programs.
Completion is defined as receiving a grade in a course or by achieving a VET Certificate II qualification or higher.
To be awarded a mark and grade for ATAR courses in Year 12 students are required to sit the external WACE examinations both written and practical/performance where these are part of the construction of assessment for the course. If these examinations are not taken, no grade or mark will be awarded and the student may not meet the requirements of graduation.
Folio of achievement
At the end of senior secondary schooling, all students will receive a folio of achievement. The folio will contain one or more of the items listed below.
Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE)
This certificate is issued to Year 12 students who meet the specified requirements.
Exhibitions and awards certificates
These certificates are awarded to students who meet the eligibility criteria.
Western Australian Statement of Student Achievement (WASSA)
A statement of student achievement is issued to all Year 12 students at the completion of their secondary schooling.
For further information School Curriculum and Standards Authority.