Computer Science Specialist
Willetton Senior High School offers interested students the opportunity to extend their technological expertise through computer programming and computer systems.
Information regarding applications for the 2021-2023 program.
The Specialist Computer Science (Extension) Program at Willetton SHS is a three year commitment throughout Years 8-10.
This program has a proud history over the 30 years since its inception. Entry is competitive and comprises standardised aptitude testing of logical/mathematical and reasoning/problem-solving skills as well as video interviews and coding activities. Student progress and results from the compulsory Year 7 Digital Technologies course are also taken into account, as is feedback from classroom teachers of each student across the board.
The program occupies two hours of formal tuition per week in each semester, providing a superset of the mandatory SCSA Digital Technologies Curriculum required for all Year 8s.
The focus for Year 8 is to introduce students to each of the program elements as outlined below. The focus on coding extends to using professional tools to develop real world programs around fundamental coding principles.
Students’ skills and knowledge will be significantly extended and enhanced through the varied program elements and in Year 10, students spend their final semester developing a professional quality mobile App suitable for publishing via Apple's AppStore.
The elements of the Computer Science Scholarship program include:
• Become a Coding Ninja be able to code demonstrating correct, professional programming principles
• Real World Solutions implement algorithms common in everyday use on the internet
• 5Cs of 21C Communication, Collaboration, Creativity, Critical thinking and Curiosity
• Shine your own light participate in external competitions – prepare to be judged
• Be your own Boss project management basics, basic business/budget principles
• Taste the Goodness explore breadth of CompSci-data visualization, patterns etc
• Own IT. Be a superhero what the world needs next-don’t fear to fail. (See https://www.acs.org.au/superhero.html)
• Expert in Residence (EiR) program begins Minecraft Challenge Incursion, ACS Women in Technology (WiT), Girls Programming Network (GPN), Web design UI/UX inclusivity specialists
Unfortunately, issues surrounding COVID-19 have delayed the application process this year.
This application process will now be undertaken early in Term 3 with the initial, aptitude testing round.
Further information will be published later this term through the School website and CONNECT, including specific dates for the aptitude testing program.
Year 7 students keen to apply for this program should be making every effort to obtain their best possible grade in the Compulsory Year 7 Digital Technologies course.
PARENT INFORMATION EVENING (December 2020)
Successful applicants and their parents will be invited to attend a special parent information evening hosted by the school, where existing Year 8, 9 and 10 program participants will demonstrate a range of activities in which they have been involved this year. This evening is an opportunity to gain further insight into the program and the extension opportunities that it offers.